Sunday, April 25, 2010

Online Learning

I am probably not the best advocate for online learning. These classes with limited face to face have been trying to say the least. I wonder how it is for the students? Are they more used to technology so they can handle it better or do they share the same frustrations? There is something to be said for direct interaction between student in teacher.
In my class, Diesel Technology, students have several online units they complete, but I find that while the online has great animations and explanations, many students have a hard time transfering that knowledge to a dirty, greasy part that they can hardly see. It's not quite the same.
One of the online training programs I use is the same one GM tech use, so students (though they may not like it) will be familiar with the type of training they will get on the job site. All of my online experiences require testing for content retention, build upon previous lessons and provide a certificate upon completion. That certificate is a document for their portfolio that will help them get a job. It also is proof that they completed the course. In addition to my safety lectures/lessons, students will complete an online safety program that will show when they received safety training. Good documentation is case of an accident.
The fact that students can access the programs at home lets me assign them as homework. I can use them for remedial instruction as well.
I have been trying to use Moodle off and on over the past couple of years, but I need to find the time to set it up in a way that works best for my class. I like the idea of less paper and the ability to grade assignments without dragging a them home with me.
Just some of my thoughts.
Mike

1 comment:

  1. I can understand what you're saying when you write "many students have a hard time transfering that knowledge to a dirty, greasy part that they can hardly see. It's not quite the same." I teach 3 sections of online classes that use a program called Compass Learning. It does a fairly decent job, but I agree that it is just not the same. I also think its great that your students can use the same that GM tech uses. Great real life experience!

    ReplyDelete